Should I use VPN or proxy?
The whole point of using VPN and proxy services is to conceal IP address of users from identifying their actual location. For instance, it is even likely to be utilized to properly access specific websites that are not normally accessible in users’ country.
Plenty of new VPN service providers also offer proxy services as well. You are allowed to utilize various public proxy servers at very little or no charge.
A question is likely to pop up in your mind as to what are the main differences between effective VPN and proxy services.
There are obviously some distinct and unique differences between these two even if they perform similarly. The main differences lie in its processes as well as in other aspects.
Differences between VPN and Proxy server
• VPN: VPN stands for Virtual Private Network which basically adds a layer of security and privacy to user’s internet experience. When user connects to internet via VPN, his/her internet traffic is mainly routed through the encrypted remote server. Since it functions at network level, the use of proper VPN extends beyond user’s internet browser. Moreover, the user does not need to configure anything because all gets protected automatically the moment user establishes a connection.
• Proxy: A proxy basically operates just like a web filter. The internet proxy setting is applied to user’s inter browser be it Firefox, Safari or Chrome. After that the internet browsing is basically mediated by the remote server. While using proxy server, user will mainly appear as if he/she is browsing from mediating server’s location- nevertheless only during internet browsing. User’s IP address is supposed to change as per his browser of choice; nevertheless it won’t be applied to whole web connection.
• When it is about security, a good VPN basically offers authentication, encryption as well as integrity protection to traffic. On the other hand proxy does not necessarily offer any kinds of security at all.
• VPN mainly works on the Firewall while proxy works on the browser.
• When it is about tunnel creation, in case of VPN there is a secure link which is created between end users. On the other hand, the tunnel formation never takes place in proxy.
• XPVPN generally uses various protocols like IPsec, L2TP, PTTP while proxy is likely to utilize FTP, SMTP, TELNET, HTTP etc.
How does VPN work?
The working method of VPN is quite different than that of proxy server. Suppose, some organization has two different networks such as Network 1 and Network 2 that are completely separated and your job is to make a connection between them utilizing the VPN. In this case, you are supposed to install two different firewalls namely Firewall 1 and the Firewall 2 for performing encryption as well as decryption method. In such scenario, the host X on the Network 1 is required to send data packet to the host on the Network 2.
The host X basically creates a packet and then inserts its IP address as source address as well as IP address of the host Y as destination address.
Then this packet eventually reaches the Firewall 1 which in turn adds the new headers to packet. In the recent headers, it basically modifies source IP address of the packet of the host X to own address. On the other hand, it moreover alters its destination IP address from that of the host Y to IP address of the Firewall 2. That being said, it even carries packet encryption as well as authentication as per the settings and then eventually send modified packet over web.
That data packet eventually reaches the Firewall 2 over interne through routers. The Firewall 2 leaves outer header and then performs proper decryption along with various necessary cryptography function. It is likely to avail original packet as constructed by the host X in very beginning. Thereafter it basically observes plain text contents of data packet and eventually realizes it is meant for the host Y. Then it is delivered to the host Y.
How does Proxy work?
A user basically starts communicating to proxy server utilizing TCP/IP applications like Telnet, HTTP etc. Thereafter proxy generally asks user about remote host along with which he/she needs to establish some link for required communication (domain name or IP address etc).
On the other hand, it is also there to ask for the user ID along with its password needed to access service of proxy server.
Thereafter user is supposed to provide the needed details to application gateway. Thus remote host is properly accessed by proxy server on behalf of user. Eventually it transfers data packets of user to remote host in the most effective way possible.
VPN encrypts your connection
VPN is likely to make your internet traffic look as if it coming from some remote IP address and that is where its similarities with proxy server ends. Most of the current VPN is generally set up at operating system level.
Moreover, its connection is there to capture the whole network connection of devices this is configured in. It simply indicates that unlike the proxy server, VPN captures traffic of each individual application from your online games to internet browser.
Proxy serve hides your IP address
Proxy server is known to be such a server which is there to effectively work as a middleman in the midst of your web traffic. It is done in order to make your web traffic activities look to come from some different place.
For instance, suppose you are from New Delhi but you want to get access to a website which is basically accessible to the people of Canada only. In such circumstance, you have the option of connecting yourself to some proxy server located within Canada, and then you will easily be able to get access to that website. This way you are actually hiding your actual place and making it look coming from somewhere else.
Why using VPN is better than proxy server?
Computer VPN is there to provide several benefits over proxy services like anonymity, increases speed, ability to select geographic location and security etc. You are supposed to disconnect the active VPN connection at just a click of button.
One can also go for strong VPN which basically provides 100% privacy and security and even more.
On the other hand, there are various benefits and advantages of using strong VPN. Some of its main benefits are described below.
• Strong VPN is there to provide perfect protection from the hackers while you are using any public Wi-Fi.
• It offers you the benefits of a virtual firewall on your mobile device, PC or MAC.
• Moreover, it basically contributes in providing complete online security along with 2048-bit encryption.
• Technical support is given for 24×7 for your convenience.
• There is automatic set up provided for the MAC, Windows, Android and iOS.
• Pre-configured router is given for the complete home networking.
• No speed limits or bandwidth charges are there.
• You are also supposed to get 30-day money back guarantee.
Both the proxy and VPN servers are there to fulfill almost same purpose; nevertheless VPN is known to be offering comparatively better security than that of proxy server.
The proxies are there to secure only your internet browser but on the other hand VPN is supposed to secure as well as encrypt the complete online network of yours. It is done because VPN is likely to encapsulate your web connection while the proxy covers some particular websites that you visit.
Moreover, unlike the VPNs that basically come preconfigured, the proxies generally need configuration for each and every service and application you use (be it streaming service, websites, email etc). Hence, proxies normally require more manual work upfront while offering few benefits. On the other hand, VPNs need very little or no customization once it is installed.
Apart from that, VPNs are there to provide comparatively more location options to select from. Moreover, most of the dedicated VPN services offer applications for almost each device out there. No matter whether you go for free proxies or paid proxies, neither of them is considered to be as beneficial and useful as VPN. This is why you are supposed to resort to VPN since you are guaranteed to avail a lot more benefits than that of proxies.
The issue of privacy is likely to be taken into account whole deciding between proxy or latest VPN. Most of the well-known VPN providers are there to host their own server networks indicating you are not required to worry to go for some random IP that you need to do in case of proxy server. On the other hand, you also do not need to worry about being tied to some particular IP address.
On the other hand, VPN is there to offer you the benefits of being completely log-less while proxy servers generally keep user logs. Moreover, VPN is basically known to advocate the customer privacy which is considered to be an added advantage for you. You can go for best private VPN 2018.
More security featuresNordVPN Connect more devicesIPVanish NordVPN has over 5,200 servers in 59 countries throughout the world. Its service supports 256-bit AES encryption; the IKEv2 and OpenVPN protocols; simultaneous connections for up to six of your devices; and unlimited bandwidth.From $7/month at NordVPNProsUnlimited bandwidth Two VPN protocols supported Apps for six OSes Extensions for browsers…